Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Call Me Crazy, But...



I love to Can! I know, who practices the Art of Canning anymore?? Wasn't that just back in the ¨Old Days¨, when people really didn't have grocery stores and you grew all your own produce in your garden?

Well, I admit, I love to Can and have been busily Canning all week long. There is a huge sense of accomplishment when I am done Canning the last jar and everything is neatly lined on my pantry shelves. There are many tasks that need to be done each day in our home, like the laundry and dishes, and it seems once I have completed those tasks, I turn my back and it needs to be done all over again!! I feel a little defeated after a while with those chores. But it´s different with Canning. I get to enjoy what I have done all through the winter, looking at each jar as if it were an expensive bottle of wine, almost too good to open.

I also love the smell that fills the air in my home, especially when I am making applesauce. Or the sound of each jar sealing after I take it out of the Canner, it becomes a mini celebration with each pop!

O.K., so now you know one of my crazy little secrets!


3 comments:

Annette said...

you are so canny! just kidding, way to keep the art alive! and i love your new design!

meleea said...

wow that is a lot of canning - way to go!! love the new look of the blog - so cute!

Trish said...

I just learned to can. My neighbor taught me last week!
We have done peaches and pickles and later this week we are doing blackberry jam.

Yum!

I love the process and having comething to show for all the hard work at the end.